A Fortville facelift: Town to improve Main Street, plans other projects


Fortville Planning Administrator Adam Zaklikowski talks on the town’s plan’s to redevelop Fortville’s Main Street. (Photo by Sadie Hunter)

Fortville’s Main Street is getting a facelift. Residents will see three separate projects, one being improvements to Main Street, begin during the next two years.

Planning administrator Adam Zaklikowski said the projects are part of the 2014 Comprehensive Plan.

“It really sets the vision for the town and how to manage new growth,” Zaklikowski said.

The projects are 80 percent federally funded, with the town paying the remaining 20 percent of each project. Taxes will not be raised to complete construction. The projects include improvements to Michigan Street and Main Street and three phases of trail improvements.

Michigan Street pedestrian safety project

The Town of Fortville will install new ADA-accessible ramps throughout the Michigan Street corridor and add new lighting. Construction will begin this spring at a cost of $528,900. The project’s completion date is set for this summer.

An aerial view of Main Street plans shows bumped out pedestrian crosswalks and landscaping.
(Submitted renderings)

Main Street corridor

New sidewalks, curbs and lighting will be added to Fortville’s Main Street along with a pedestrian crosswalk and landscaping. The $2.5 million project will begin in October 2019 depending on weather. The project should be finished in 2020.

Zaklikowski said the main purpose of the Michigan Street project is to improve pedestrian safety, but the Main Street improvements address multiple issues.

“It’s a much wider scope,” he said. “The goal is to beautify Main Street and to improve that infrastructure where in many cases it is very old and deteriorating.”

Zaklikowski said the project also may eliminate a bad intersection near Pearl and Mill streets.

Trail improvements

Improvements to the trails will be made in three phases, with the first to begin in March 2020. A 10-foot wide asphalt trail will begin at the intersection of Garden Street and Fortville Pike and continue along Fortville Pike to cross over at County Road 200 West with a pedestrian signal at the intersection. It will then follow County Road 200 West to the Mt. Vernon School District complex. The trail will be approximately 2 miles long and cost nearly $6 million.

“The main reason for doing the trail is to have a safe, pedestrian-accessible or bicycle way to get from old town Fortville to the school complex,” Zaklikowski said. “It’s really another recreational amenity and a good opportunity for folks to get exercise safely and another physical connection between our school system and the community.”

Town Manager Joe Renner could not be reached for comment.

For more, visit fortvilleindiana.org

Timeline for the upcoming construction projects

Bird’s eye and street-level views show enhanced, angled parking, landscaping and sidewalk improvements along Main Street.

Main Street corridor

Start date: October 2019 with the possibility of the start date being pushed to 2020.

End date: 2020

Cost: $2.5 million

Michigan Street Pedestrian Safety Project

Start date: Spring 2018

End date: Summer 2018

Cost: $528,900

Trail project

Start date: March 2020

End date: Unknown

Cost: $6 million

Current Morning Briefing Logo

Stay CURRENT with our daily newsletter (M-F) and breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox for free!

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Current Publishing, 30 S. Range Line Road, Carmel, IN, 46032, https://www.youarecurrent.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact