What do you want more of in your life? Happiness? Peace? Love? Many people report wanting more happiness and peace with themselves and others. They feel lost on how to get it.
Everyone has issues and struggles in their lives. There is no such thing as a perfect person. We may strive to be perfect in order to gain acceptance. Many people think being perfect or having the latest and greatest material possessions such as clothes, houses, cars, technology, jewelry, cosmetics or shoes will make them happy. Once they have the items, they quickly realize they’re just a black hole.
There are several killers of happiness: Trying to be perfect; people pleasing; taking things personally; victim-thinking; blaming others; and addictions. But, it’s never too late to make changes.
How can we increase our happiness? Below are five steps:
1. Discover what you love and take action. What are you passionate about? What do you love spending your time doing? Be intentional and make more time to do these things. This will bring more joy into your life instantly.
2. Don’t take things personally. We tend to take things people say or do personally. We are hurt or offended by others’ words. Wouldn’t life be a little more peaceful if we had a deeper understanding that it’s not about us? If we trigger another person, it’s because there is something from their past they might need to explore.
3. Take every situation as a learning experience. Ask yourself, “What can I learn from this?” “What is the lesson in this challenge for me?” Everything happens for a reason. We just may not discover that reason until after we’re through the experience.
4. Take ownership of your choices and behavior. Let go of excuses and own your issues. Don’t get caught up in the blame game.
5. Forgive. Forgive. Forgive. Maybe you need to first forgive yourself to forgive others. Work through your own pain and hurt so you can let go and move on. If we learn from difficult and painful situations, we walk away empowered and no longer a hostage to the past. Forgiveness is not forgetting; it is simply no longer letting it have power over you so you can move into more happiness.