Commentary by Randy Sorrell and Bill Bernard
Are you tired of feeling contained? A lot of people these days are wanting to go somewhere, anywhere, and do something. We’re used to going on vacations, getting away from it all and returning home refreshed, renewed and reinvigorated. Unfortunately, it’s a little difficult to get away these days. Wouldn’t it be nice if your home could inspire those same feelings of rejuvenation? That would be the ultimate staycation.
It’s hard to feel refreshed when you look around your home and see the same porch, the same plants and the same grill that have been there for years, dutifully doing their jobs but failing to excite. They’re nice, but they no longer inspire a relaxing ambience.
Here are a few ideas for refreshing your outdoor living space that could help change your perception and improve your appreciation for your surroundings:
- Lighting can provide a sense of security and also enhance the beauty of your landscape.
- Incorporate an outdoor activity. We recently installed a bocce ball and a tetherball court.
- Update your furnishings with new cushions or even all new furniture.
- Maintenance items such as pruning, deadheading, mulching and even painting your fence can make an incredible impact.
- Updating your plantings give you an opportunity to rework the geometry of your beds and incorporate focal points for specimen plantings, water features or even fire features.
- How about improving your grilling game? Whether you prefer gas, propane, charcoal or are an Egg aficionado, a new grill station with an adjacent bar counter can have a positive impact on your mood.
Can you imagine what an outdoor pizza oven could do?
Stay home, be moved.