My husband and I bought a Carmel “fixer upper” home in 2013 and made it our official primary residence this past July when we moved from the Chicagoland area. We were a bit worried about the move, as we were not sure if there would be enough to do here. We have been pleasantly surprised. We love that we can tap into events throughout Carmel and Indianapolis. Here are some things we have grown to love about Carmel:
1) Businesses, restaurants and public facilities (amazing Carmel Clay Public Library and Carmel High School athletic and musical programs). Carmel has it all!
2) Museums in Carmel and Indianapolis – special note for Carmel’s Museum of Miniature Houses. What a treasure!
3) Roundabouts (OK, most of them. There are a couple that are a bit crazy as cars go way too fast through them. Would suggest that all new residents to Carmel receive information on the protocols of the roundabouts).
4) Well-maintained streets and sidewalks and great city services.
5) Medical resources. Great doctors and services in Carmel.
6) Our NextDoor app that connects us to resources in the community and provides a great networking sharing space to keep our community safe and active.
7) Proximity to Indianapolis. What a great city! Recently, we spent the day in Fountain Square checking out where the HGTV show, “Great Bones,” is filmed and explored the Old Northside Neighborhood with friends.
8) Wonderful Carmel parades and celebrations – Veterans’ Day, Memorial Day, July Fourth, etc.!
9) Respectful political debate, despite political party affiliation. We joined the Hamilton County Democratic Party. Great monthly meetings filled with information and progressive ideas.
10) Informative news sources – Current in Carmel newspaper, Village of Carmel Website/Calendar, Indianapolis Monthly Magazine, National Public Radio, PBS News Shows featuring Indiana history, politics and news.
It is great to call Carmel home!
Shelley Carey, Carmel