Airtron

Illegal activity causes accidental fire

0
Noblesville crews work to put out an attic fire at 3211 Westfield Rd. Thursday night.

Noblesville crews work to put out an attic fire at 3211 Westfield Rd. Thursday night.

A heating unit used to grow marijuana started a fire in the attic of a Noblesville home Thursday night.

Division Chief Rick Russell said firefighters were dispatched to a possible kitchen fire at 3211 Westfield Rd. at 9:50 p.m. The home owner, Bruce Cornelius, told officials he was on the couch when he heard something in the attic space. Cornelius stated he could see a glow above the ceiling and tried to extinguish the fire before help arrived but was unsuccessful.

At 9:56 p.m., firefighters arrived to discover smoke coming from the eves of the home. Russell said fire crews made entry into the home to discover a fire in the attic space above one of the bedrooms. It took approximately 25 minutes before the fire was extinguished.

Russell stated the fire had originated in area of a heating element and exhaust unit that was used in a marijuana growing operations. The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Dept. removed approximately 30 plants from the home. The occupant of the residence is cooperating with authorities.

The fire has caused approximately $139,000 in damages. Russell said the fire was ruled accidental and caused no injuries.


Current Morning Briefing Logo

Stay CURRENT with our daily newsletter (M-F) and breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox for free!

Select list(s) to subscribe to



By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Current Publishing, 30 S. Range Line Road, Carmel, IN, 46032, https://www.youarecurrent.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
Share.
×