Carmel City Council – March 18

0

What happened:  Increase in thefts from cars

What it means:  Councilor Luci Snyder shared details from the criminal investigations report.  Carmel’s southeast district experienced nine thefts from cars in the first week of January alone.  There have been 36 thefts from cars so far this year.

Head of criminal investigations Major Randy Schalburg told Snyder these thefts were “crimes of opportunity.”  Citizens parked unlocked cars in driveways with valuables inside.  In one instance, the keys were left in the ignition.  These vehicles become targets for criminals.

“Carmel is not Camelot,” Snyder stated.  “Our police need your cooperation and common sense.”  Police recommend parking vehicles in locked garages if available.  Vehicles parked in the open should be locked and valuables stored in the trunk or hidden.

 

What happened:  Citizen concerned with street conditions

What it means:  John Acceturro addressed council about street damages and the possibility of a low repaving budget.  “I understand there’s only $500,000,” he said.

Acceturro presented photos of potholes, sinking pavement and cracked brick in areas east of both Meridian and Keystone.  He pointed out damages included the high profile Arts District.

Acceturro suggested increased truck traffic with heavy loads from the Keystone project may have caused the damages at 136th and Carey Roads.

Councilor Woody Rider stated street conditions remain a priority.  Rider encouraged him and others to report damage to the Street Department.  “They are very diligent with repairs,” he said.  Rider also stated that citizens may contact council representatives who would be happy to make the call.

Mayor Brainard said the repaving budget actually totals $1.7 million from separately-named funds.

 

What happened:  Planned Development at Towne Road and 131st St.

What it means: The proposed Hadley Grove development at the northwest corner of Towne Road and 131st Street received compliments from all city council members.

M/I Homes of Indiana’s 30-acre plan offers 38 “empty-nester homes” in the $275,000 to $400,000 price range and protects existing ponds, waterways and wooded preservation areas.

Councilor Woody Rider explained the Land Use Committee’s approval.  “I don’t think there could have been a better project for this corner.”


Current Morning Briefing Logo

Stay CURRENT with our daily newsletter (M-F) and breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox for free!

Select list(s) to subscribe to



By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Current Publishing, 30 S. Range Line Road, Carmel, IN, 46032, https://www.youarecurrent.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
Share.