Creekside Middle School math teacher Angela Snyder has been chosen as one of the Indiana Dept. of Education’s 2018-19 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching state finalists.
Snyder teaches eighth-grade math and is chair of the mathematics department.
“It’s a great honor to represent all the teachers in Indiana and to represent the teachers in Carmel Clay Schools,” Snyder said. “We have such excellent teachers in the state and our district. I feel honored to be chosen among them.”
Principals, teachers, parents, students or members of the general public may nominate individuals who teach science, technology, engineering, mathematics and computer science in seventh through 12th grades or kindergarten through sixth grade for alternating award years.
The nominees go through a rigorous online application process. Teachers are chosen based on the following criteria:
• Mastery of content appropriate for the grade level taught.
• Use of effective instructional methods and strategies that are appropriate for the students in the classroom and that support student learning.
• Effective use of student assessments to evaluate, monitor and improve student learning.
• Reflective practice and life-long learning to improve teaching and student learning.
• Leadership in education inside and outside of the classroom.
“Angela Snyder scored highly on the five dimensions through the assessments completed by the professional team, individually and collaboratively, whose members represent multiple levels of mathematics educational expertise in the state of Indiana,” Sheridan Rayl, PAEMST state coordinator, stated in an email.
Snyder said she was surprised by the nomination and subsequent win.
“I am honored and humbled to represent teachers in my district and state who work hard to provide rich learning opportunities for students,” Snyder said. “Working with students each day is a privilege I cherish.”
The White House will announce the national winners with a certificate signed by President Trump. A specific date has not been announced.
For more, visit paemst.org.