Just before Christmas in late December 2018, the Boone County Sheriff’s Office saw an increase in home burglaries.
According to BCSO Capt. Mike Beard, an increase in crime can occur around the holidays for several reasons. Residents often travel and leave their home vacant. People may have new expensive items in the homes around the holidays, including TVs, computers and other electronics. Additionally, the perpetrators may be seeking money to provide for their own families.
Just because the holidays have ended, the BCSO does not want area residents to let their guard down. Criminals have started revisiting areas where break-ins already have occurred, which used to be uncommon.
“The rules have changed in this 24/7 society,” Beard said. “Remain aware of what’s going on and keep doors locked.”
The BCSO asks that if residents see something suspicious, call the dispatch center at 765-482-1412, ext. 8. Those with information about suspicious activity or crimes that already have occurred can email tips to firstname.lastname@example.org with information, pictures or video.
BCSO’s tips to help keep your home secure
- Keep all windows and doors locked.
- Secure valuables in a safe bolted to a wall and hidden inside your home.
- Purchase a home security camera.
- Make sure home security systems are on when you are home.
- Install motion-sensor lighting.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Put timers on lights inside your house.
- Leave a TV or light on when you are on vacation.
- Don’t advertise when you are leaving on vacation.
- Keep a record of all valuables inside your home.