Carmel Clay Schools officials say that threatening text messages circulating among Carmel High School students Feb. 14 and 15 were just rumors and never posed an actual danger.
Carmel Clay Schools spokeswoman Courtney Taylor said the rumors began the morning of Feb. 14 when students texted each other about a number of unusual incidents that happened at CHS in the last week, including a male student threatening a female student with a knife and fights on campus.
The text thread mentioned hoping a school shooting was not next, but then stated that if there was one it would be during a Friday convocation. Taylor said that no actual threat was made and that a convocation was never planned.
The text thread started before the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla., which left 17 people dead. That news likely led to increased rumors and tensions at CHS, Taylor said.
Also on Feb. 14, a CHS student used Snapchat to show images of guns and ammunition believed to be at the student’s home. Taylor said the video was not originally linked to the text thread and that police have investigated the situation and found no credible threat.
Taylor said she did not know how many students stayed home from school or left early Feb. 15, but many parents on social media indicated they would not send their children to school. Taylor said CHS attendance will not be known until the end of the day.