By Mark Ambrogi
Jon Olson’s giving nature has been noticed.
Olson received the OneZone Most Valuable Volunteer Award at the chamber of commerce’s awards luncheon Dec. 14 at Ritz Charles in Carmel.
“I was extremely honored and humbled and thoroughly surprised to receive the (award),” Olson said. “I know there are many people deserving of this award every year. I love our community and everything it offers. I’ve never looked at volunteering like work, rather a great way to make friends, support our community and help others make memories.”
Olson moved to Carmel in 2006 and started BrightStar Care of Indianapolis, a home-care and medical-staffing agency, providing care to seniors.
“Being a business owner has allowed me to become involved with many organizations,” Olson said. “We have a wonderful team and they are always looking for organizations in need of our support. We have supported and or volunteered with the Alzheimer’s Association, Indiana Blood Center, Humane Society of Indianapolis, Faith Hope & Love, and most recently we were able to volunteer for Hunter’s Hugs. We collected more than 140 blankets that will be donated to local homeless this winter.”
Olson joined the Rotary Club of Carmel, which led to many other opportunities.
“Once you start volunteering, it becomes so rewarding, and you want to get involved in other opportunities,” Olson said. “Most of my time outside of work you will find me at different events around Carmel, usually as a volunteer.”
The Applause Business of the Year Award for a small to medium business was presented to Carmel-based pi lab/Edwin the Duck. The company created app-connected smart toy Edwin the Duck to help children learn.
“(This award) is one of the most special awards we have received,” pi lab co-founder Matt McBeth said. “We could not have done this without our local community partners and are very proud to live, work and play right here in central Indiana.”
Fishers-based CloudOne was honored with the OneZone Applause Business of the Year award for a large business. CloudOne is an IoT (Internet of Things) solution enabler, connecting data across businesses through a combination of technology and service.
The business, founded in 2010, has expanded from four to 50 employees. CloudOne has been named to the Inc. 5000 for three consecutive years, Indianapolis Business Journal 2015 and 2016 rankings of the fastest-growing companies in the Indianapolis area and Top 100 Best Places to Work in Indiana.
“At CloudOne, we are humbled and grateful for the breadth of awards we have garnered over the past few years, from the Inc. 5000 to Top 100 Best Places to Work in Indiana, and now the Applause Business of the Year Award,” CloudOne CEO John McDonald said. “As we continue to grow, it is very meaningful to be recognized not only for our entrepreneurial endeavors, but also as a community-based company where people are excited to come to work each day. We are proud to be located in Hamilton County, and to be singled out by OneZone among all of the other amazing companies doing business in Fishers and Carmel is truly an honor.”
Other Award winners:
- Young Professional of the Year Award (ages 21 to 40): Jay Bangert, The Hagerman Group.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards: The Harold Kaiser Lifetime Achievement Award, given to an individual from Carmel: Bruce Breeden, vice president of the Energy Solutions Division at Telamon. Former Fishers Police Chief and life-long Fishers resident George Kehl was presented the Lifetime Achievement Award for Fishers.
- The Look Award for New Construction: Carmel was presented to Children’s Learning Adventure, which provides brightly decorated state-of-the art classroom design at 760 East 116th Street.
- The Look Award for New Construction: Fishers was given to Four Day Ray Brewing, which is recognizable by its iconic silo on top of the roof at 11671 Lantern Rd.
- The Look Award for Renovation: Carmel was presented to Lakeside Green Business Center at 645 West Carmel Dr., a LEED-certified office building in the mixed-use Lakeside Development.
- The Look Award for Renovation: Fishers went to Balmoral House, a former home that was transformed into a wedding and event venue, located by Balmoral Golf Club at 10101 Hamilton Hills Ln.
- Green Award: NextGear Capital for the ThinkGreen program, which combines education and involvement to enlighten and motivate its more 500 team members at their corporate headquarters in Carmel.