Commentary by Sophie Pappas
What’s better at the holidays than gathering with friends and family over good food and drinks? Nothing. Nothing is better. Unless you add cheese to the mix, which actually makes any gathering more delicious … especially if it is goat cheese! This creamy, French-inspired favorite makes its way to many cheese trays, but it is my belief that it is entirely underused in recipes. Why serve it on a cracker, when you can bake it into some even better? Here are some simple goat cheese appetizers you can throw together in no time this holiday season.
Marinara and goat cheese dip
This recipe is about as easy as it gets. (Truthfully, my three-year-old could make this it’s just that simple!) Plus, it’s always a crowd pleaser and can easily be doubled for larger parties.
1 jar your favorite marinara sauce
8 ounces creamy goat cheese or chevron
1 French baguette, sliced thin
1. In a ceramic pie dish, pour the marinara sauce in the dish, to covering the entire base.
2. Shape the cheese into a circle or log and place in the middle of the dish on top of the marinara sauce.
3. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is warm and bubbly.
Serve with warm slices of French baguette.
Cheese and walnut stuffed celery
4 celery stalks, cut into thirds
7 ounces of your favorite creamy goat cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Honey for drizzling OR chopped dates for garnishing
- Mix your walnuts and cheese together.
- Spoon your cheese mixture into the celery slices.
Drizzle with honey before serving or top with chopped dates.