A cut gas line which closed the intersection at 3rd Avenue Southwest andWest Carmel Drive this morning has been contained, according to officials from the Carmel Fire Dept.
Shortly before 11 a.m. this morning, emergency personnel were notified that a 4-inch low-pressure gas line near theRunyonEquipmentRentalBuildinghad been accidentally cut by construction crews in the area. The subsequent gas leak was large enough to cause a bulge across all lanes of traffic onCarmel Drive.
Emergency personnel closed off the intersection in all directions. At 11:58 a.m., wheel chair-bound patients at the nearbyPrimeLifeEnrichmentCenterwere evacuated to Fire Station 41 for bus pick-up.
At 12:31 p.m., emergency personnel successfully contained the leak. A complete repair of the gas line will be required, and could leave the intersection closed for the remainder of the day, according to CFD Fire Marshal Bruce Knott.
A second, unrelated residential gas leak occurred at the same time near the intersection of 111th Street and Central Avenue. Information was not immediately available as to whether it had been contained, though Knott said he believed that leak to be less serious than the 3rd Avenue Southwest andCarmel Drive leak.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.