Carmel Clay Schools will register kindergarten students for the 2011 – 2012 school year March 15. Students must be at least 5 years old by Sept. 1 to start kindergarten next August, according to Dr. Amy Dudley, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment, who supervises the kindergarten program.
No kindergarten registration will take place before March 15.
Dr. Dudley noted that while the state requires incoming kindergarten students to be 5 years old by Aug. 1, Carmel Clay grants a waiver to any student who will attain that age by Sept. 1.
Registration will take place in all 11 elementary schools from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. March 15. Parents should go to the elementary school where their child will attend kindergarten next year. To view a map of the school boundaries go to the following link: http://myccs.ccs.k12.in.us/district/boundaries/
Two elementary schools also will provide evening registration March 15 for those unable to sign up their child during the day. Towne Meadow Elementary, 10850 Towne Road, will serve as the sign-up site for schools located west of Keystone Avenue. For parents who live east of Keystone Avenue, the evening registration will take place at Woodbrook Elementary, 4311 E.116th Street. Both schools will welcome parents from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Carmel Clay will offer full-day kindergarten to all parents who are interested. The state, which pays for some, but not all, allows the school district to offer full-day kindergarten programming.
Fees charged to parents make up the difference between state funding and Carmel Clay’s actual expenses. This year, parents paid $1,700 for full-day kindergarten for the school year. Because state funding changes each year, that fee for the 2011 – 2012 school year may be slightly higher or lower, Dr. Dudley said.
Elementary schools in the district will offer tours of their kindergarten facilities.
- Carmel Elementary will offer parent tours in May during kindergarten screening. More information will be available to parents when they register students. If parents are not able to attend, they may call the school (844-0168) to schedule a tour.
- Cherry Tree parents may contact the school at (317) 846-3086 to schedule a tour.
- College Wood parents may contact the school at (317) 733-6430.
- Forest Dale will provide tours after its kindergarten information meeting for parents and students on Wednesday, February 23rd at 7:00 pm, but parents who cannot attend this meeting may call the school at (317) 844-4948.
- Mohawk Trails will offer tours at 9:00 am and 2:30 pm on March 15, the day of kindergarten registration.
- Orchard Park will offer tours after its kindergarten information meeting, which is scheduled for March 24 at 9:00 a.m.
- Prairie Trace parents may call the school at (317) 571-7925.
- Smoky Row will offer parent only tours on March 22nd at 6:30 p.m.
- Towne Meadow will provide a tour after its kindergarten informational meeting February 25 at 9:00 a.m., but parents who are not able to attend may call the school at (317) 733-2645.
- West Clay will offer its kindergarten informational meeting for parents on February 23 at 9:00 am in the cafeteria.
- Woodbrook will host a kindergarten information night for parents and students on Monday, April 18 beginning at 6:45 pm or parents may contact the school at (317) 846-4225.
When registering their children, parents will need an official birth certificate (not a hospital record) and proof of residency. Proof of residency consists of a rental agreement, purchase agreement or closing documents, deed and a utility (electric and/or gas) statement. Proof of immunization records must be returned to the school by Aug. 1. Packets will be available at each elementary school in early March.
More information is posted on the Carmel Clay Web site at: http://www1.ccs.k12.in.us/district/prospective-families-students/preparing-enroll
The elementary schools also will offer registration on a limited number of days this summer, but parents are strongly encouraged to sign up their children for kindergarten March 15 so that the school district may plan for staffing and scheduling classrooms.
For more information about kindergarten registration and programming, call Joni Morris at the Carmel Clay Educational Services Center at (317) 844-9961, ext.1054.